Security Tips for Homeowners
Your home should be a place where you and your family feel safe and secure. Apart from the financial cost of a burglary or other intrusion, nothing can replace the loss of your sense of security.
Fortunately, there are practical steps you can take to minimise the risk to your home and help keep your family safe. Here are just a few:
- Make sure all external doors, windows and gates are secured with high quality keyed locks and strong hardware. Secure sliding doors with frame bolts.
- Choose solid hardwood or metal-reinforced external doors – the best locks in the world are little use if a would-be burglar can simply smash the door.
- Consider installing an alarm system. Choose a reputable alarm provider who will support you in the long term.
- Do not leave ladders and tools lying around the yard. These can be a huge help to an opportunistic intruder.
- Install locks on any hatches leading to the roof cavity or the crawl-space under the house.
- Check your property for “blind spots” where a criminal can work undisturbed. Consider installing better lighting or removing vegetation to reduce this risk.
- Keep valuables out of sight. Remember that thieves are primarily interested in getting what they want and getting out quickly – a house with plenty of valuables in plain view makes an attractive target.
- Get to know your neighbours and get involved with your local neighbourhood watch.
- Keep small valuables in a safe, or in a safe deposit box at the bank.
- Remember that you have one thing in common with a potential thief: neither of you want to take unnecessary risks. Anything you can do to make your property less attractive to a potential burglar will help keep you, your family and your belongings safer.
To discuss how we can help you safeguard your home, or to request an obligation-free quote on any of our services, contact us.